Friday, January 16, 2015

The night watch





 
 
"I know this much: that there is objective time, but also subjective time, the kind you wear on the inside of your wrist, next to where the pulse lies. And this personal time, which is the true time, is measured in your relationship to memory.”
― Julian Barnes

It's nearly the end of another week in my year long daily sculpting project. And probably one of the hardest for keeping up with. I mentioned on Facebook that this week my son had surgery, and that has forced me to slow down, to look on moments spent with my kids in a different, more appreciative light, and to set aside the clay in favor of a small hand to hold.

There's been a lot of introspection happening for me this week, and not a whole lot of sculpting. Many nights spent in solitude, watching the rise and fall of my son's chest as he breathes, deeply asleep, with the entire house quiet. The gentle, intermittent snore of the dog who has finally fallen asleep and left me to keep watch of his precious boy alone, is the only sound. The flickering light of the Christmas tree, which I haven't had the heart to take down, the only light.

And lots of time for me to think. And be grateful for this life and this family, for these children, for this art. The things I care most deeply about. My son is doing well, recovering every day.

One of the reasons I wanted to do a daily sculpting project was so I could fit in little spots of joy every single day. To be more aware of life, and the little things that bring me joy, to think of things that might bring joy to others. To live in appreciation every day for what I have.  

In the quiet hours of the night I planned out sculptures I want to make for this next week, and the week after that. . . and the week after that. I thought up blog posts I want to write, sketch projects I want to start. Creatures and ponies waiting to be born from clay, pencil, and paper.

I can't wait to share them with you. I hope you'll stick around for the journey. And let me know what it is you'd most like to see me sculpt or draw. You guys are a great source of inspiration for me.

There will be no Mystery sale this week, I have custom orders to finish, and daily sculpting to fit in as I can (all of which will be available). I'll keep you updated when I have new creatures ready to find new homes. You'll probably hear from me very soon. :)

Love, hugs, and pony kisses,

Crystal

Watching: Chopped
Listening to: The Civil Wars
Reading: The Dream Thieves
Snacking on: soft pretzels
Drinking: Ice water
Mood: Contemplative

No comments:

Post a Comment